Hooray - half my Paintbox *quilt* is done, almost. I call this one Paintbox A at the moment (because I can be creative like that!) and whilst it's still in need of binding, I've been very pleased to get it out from under the machine...concentric circles is not a particularly tricky design to execute, but it did end up with an awful lot of quilt wrangling and manipulation. Sometimes I do long for a bigger harp than my 440QE offers, but it does the job...
I traced a circle in 3 spots on the quilt (using the lid of the starch spray can), offset against each other in a way that I hoped would give a sense of movement to the end result, and then set the guide to my walking foot to just shy of 1" and basically follwed the lines with concentric rings. When I got to a particular spot (completely arbitrary on my part) I started on the next ring, working out to within 1" of the earlier ring, and so on. Then I filled in the areas between rings to echo the pattern. Et voila!
Whist the fronts of both Paintbox quilts are mirror images of each other, I've pieced the backs completely differently. Looking at this one, I wish now I'd set the pieced block further to the left so it's clear that it was deliberately set offcentre (it sort of looks just like I can't line things up, ha!) but otherwise I'm very happy - the pieced block is just little snippets left over from the Kona colours used on the front, set in Kona white, with Kona mid grey and Kona tarragon (love this colour!) making up the rest.
And I couldn't resist this one - my super awesome wee helper, who was so happy to let me snap away. And when his arms got a bit tired, we swapped jobs - the pic of the back of the quilt is all his work! This is when Coley called out to me: Mama, take a photo of your quilt with just my eyebrows showing! Erm okay - Charlie chaplin in quilt form!
(and please forgive the hideous dust speck - the camera's going in for a proper cleaning this week!!!)