This is a little wall quilt I just recently made as part of my ongoing bid to build up a creative arty wall in Cole and Immy's bedroom (pictures soon...after frames have been bought)
It came about as a result of one of those happy accidents in the studio late one night. I had this sweet little set of buttons and I wanted to use them for something, so I started playing around, and a balloon happened. I quilted the background fabric by machine and added some whimsical hand quilting in a thicker thread and big stitches to add definition and (hopefully) a sense of movement. Then I stitched on the wee buttons, wove the little basket, attached basket to balloon, et voila!I added a brighter binding since I was concerned that otherwise it would look too washed out, and the beige walls around here demand something to draw your attention!
It's just wee - the whole thing is 40cm x 32 cm (about 16x13 inches) - and is the smallest thing I've ever quilted, bar coasters and potholders. But can I just say - I can totally see how people really get into doll quilts (the modern arty ones) - they're such a fun, quick fix, and an opportunity to experiment without the time and fabric (and whatnot) investment required of larger quilts.
Fun fact - this is the first quilt of mine to ever be on a wall, ha! It even beat Ti Kouka, which was always intended as a wall quilt...but I have plans....